Position: Contract Archivist – Broadway High School Archive, Seattle
Seattle Central College is seeking a contract archivist to carry out a small digitization project for the Broadway High School Archive.
The project consists of identifying, describing, and digitizing approximately 200 archival items from the Broadway High School Archive. The archive includes approximately 235 cubic feet of photographs, school records, year books, school newspapers, and ephemera. The archivist will facilitate or carry out digitizing, metadata creation, entry, and project reporting with support from an hourly staff person and the Seattle Central College library. The project should begin as soon as possible and work must be completed by September 15, 2020.
The goal of this project is to broaden access and awareness of the collection by digitizing selected items from the collection. The resulting files will provide researchers and educators a sense of the scope and types of materials in the collection. Future projects will expand digital access, including more complex metadata at the collection and item levels. This project supported by a grant from the Washington State Library with funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
About the archive: The Broadway High School Archive (BHSA) holds a significant number of unique materials documenting Seattle’s first high school (1942-1946) located on the site of current Seattle Central College in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle. The archive is located in a restricted access non-climate controlled space inside the Broadway Performance Hall. A pc computer and digital scanner are available at the archive; data will be entered onsite at the Seattle Public Schools archive in consultation with the SPS archivist.
- Experience with digitization projects for paper-based collections
- Experience in archival preservation and handling and digitizing archival collections
- Ability to work in an environment that may include dust and mold
- Knowledge of technologies appropriate to special collections and archives
- Master of Library and Information Science, Master in Archival Studies, or equivalent professional experience
A professional services contract for this position will be based on approximately 150 hours of work at $30/hour. Open until filled. To apply, please email a resume and letter of interest to:
Seattle Central College | e: Lynn.email@example.com p: 206-934-4072
Position: Assistant Archivist at King County Archives
- King County Archives is seeking a highly qualified candidate to serve as an Assistant Archivist. The Assistant Archivist supports the Archivist in management of the Archives and works collaboratively as part of the Archives team in providing high-quality customer service; fulfilling the legal, ethical, and professional responsibilities of the Archives; and in support of the Records and Licensing Services Division and King County priorities.
- This is a full time position that closes Wednesday, November 6th at 11:59 pm.
- For the full job listing, and directions to apply, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/kingcounty/jobs/2610289/assistant-archivist?keywords=archives&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Job postings with a closing date older than one month will be removed from this page. If you have a job, internship, or volunteer opportunity you would like to promote with Seattle Area Archivists, please email us at seattle.area.archivists @gmail.com.