Editing as Activism: Edit-A-Thon to Correct Systemic Bias in Wikipedia
Date: Saturday, November 2, 2019
Time: 9 AM-1 PM
Location: University of Washington Libraries Research Commons, Allen Library South
RSVP form: bit.ly/2nZQL9f
Facebook event: bit.ly/30FdS6h
- Help address the systematic biases relating to gender, race, and social class that lead to underrepresentation of topics, people, and organizations on Wikipedia!
- Editors of all levels of experience welcome!
- Edit and create pages that improve Wikipedia’s coverage of historically marginalized communities with an emphasis on labor history found in the Labor Archives of Washington.
- Novice editors encouraged to attend an advance online tutorial that will be available to registrants. Support for beginners will be available onsite!
- For experts, we will also have specialized help for working with Wikidata.
- Bring your laptops and power cords. A limited number of laptops will be available for loan.
- We will share a list of books, articles, and archival finding aids to edit with or editors can bring their own. A list of suggested entries and archival collections to add will be provided. We will help teach new editors how to edit at this workshop!
- All are welcome; this event is geared towards University of Washington student, faculty, and community members.
- Light refreshments will be served.